Friday, April 7, 2017

A Gudinya

The pass yesterday was at 1350 m and even though it was a hard uphill, the climb was gradual and I did well. After the climb, we descended a long ways down to the village of Lubian.
Today's climb was at 1230 m and I found it very hard, exausting. The trail followed a narrow creek bed for 5.5 km and it went straight up and up.I think for me this morning was my hardest climb of this whole camimo.

The ground was muddy, often running water or spongy wet. Lots of rocks, that my feet kept steeping on, in and out. Always in concentration looking at my feet and remembering to breath.
Reaching the pass was a relief and also marking the entrance to the province of Galicia. I remember well the terrain in Galicia, as it goes up and down throughout the way. The sound of water, cow bells, stepping over chesnut husks. This is Galicia !! It often rains, but we are very lucky and it is blue skies and sunny.
I am 200 km from Santiago and have already covered 800 km. At times I found it hard to believe all the ground and history that I have covered, in just one month.
An incredible reminder for me, that if you really want to achieve something, it is generally possible. It is all in the determination and trust in yourself and surroundings.

At the begining, when I thought about walking the Via de la Plata, I questioned myself if I could do it. I questioned my knees, my hips, endurance, mental and physical. I decided that I would try it and hoped that I could do it ! I am very happy to have reached Galicia, be here and so close to Santiago !!

Along the way I have met different peregrinos that have returned home because of injuries, bad blisters, infections...lots of tendonitis.
I am a lucky one, only had 3 or 4 blisters that have healed, two black toenails, that don't hurt and the toes are ok and some pain in my leg shins, that I manage with Ibuprofin, when it really bothers me, that is not when walking but at night when resting.


Today's remaining 17 km after the pass, were absolutly beautiful. I walked the ridges, no trees. The grown was covered with purplish flowering heathers, big rocks, bulders and rolling terrain. 
I stopped and rested for more than 30 minutes to eat and admire the beauty of the landscape. I passed three small villages with very friendly people, with the markings of a hard life.



Tonight I am in A Gudinya, just cooked pasta with pesto sauce that three of us piligrims have shared. Every one in the albergue is looking very tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment