Friday, April 14, 2017

Camino

We each create our own camino.

The camino has a different meaning for each one of us. As in everyday life, we adapt and accept, the camino changes.
Yesterday, I was 75 km from Santiago, and needed to be in Santiago today Thursday, to meet with a friend, who will be walking 100 km of this piligramage with me. I made the decision to take a bus to the last walking stage to Santiago. I would sleep in the albergue, and this morning walk the last 17 km to Santiago, in silence. 
This would complete my Via de la Plata.

This morning I left the albergue at 6:30 am (as we had to be out of the albergue by 7 am) and started walking. 
My senses were alert. When the moon was behind the trees or a hill, my head lamp guided me. As the day light was appearing, everything felt alive. I could hear the early morning birds and the freshness in my cheeks. As every other day, when walking in Sanabria, the route always climbing up and down. 
I crossed a farmer taking his cows to the field. A woman cutting and loading fresh grass for her animals. The dogs barked, when I was walking too close to their fence. 
It was all magical. A feeling of completion, fulfilment. I am happy to have made this decission of completing my VDLP camino alone, as this was my camino.







In the distance I saw the cathedral towers of Compostela. I felt complete. Incredible to be here, a moment that I imagined many times as I walked.
I entered Santiago by a small medieval arch, on the top of a steep street. There is only one entrance arch into the city remaining of this fortress that once protected the old city of Santiago.

A man was walking by and I asked him if he could take my picture by the arch.
 
He is a history teacher and very pleased to take my foto for me and also to tell me the history of the arch and sourrounding buildings. He accompanies me through the small streets giving me a history lesson. Takes me to a beautiful food market, that today, Thursday, is fully alive. The stalls are very busy selling fish, meats and vegetables. All around the market there are also the local farmers that bring their fresh chesses, eggs, milk, flowers, herbs...they have a small little chair and an umbrella to protect themselves from the sun.
 A copper scale, with shinny weights by them. I really thanked him when he leaves, for the great improvised tour that he gave me.


The narrow streets take me to the cathedral of Santiago. Tourists, families and piligrims are all around. I sit, feel and admire this moment, sourrounded by this beautiful cathedral.

I am very grateful for this journey. Thankful to life, for giving me the opportunity to walk the Via de la Plata.
I am thankful for my health, my family, my friends. Each one of you has walked steps of this camino with me, through my thoughts.
Thankful, to the piligrims that I met along the way, their support, encouragement, words, smiles and energy, helped me when I was in need and tired.
I am thankful to the local people and farmers that have shared their land with me, as I passed by. Thankful to nature for providing me and taking me along the Via de la Plata path.

Tomorrow, Friday, I will start another camino, the camino to Finisterre and Muxia. 
100 km that will take us, to what was believed the end, the end of earth.
This will be a special symbolic camino for me, that my friend and I will walk and understand, as we will walk.

Naima


No comments:

Post a Comment