Sunday, April 2, 2017

Tábara

It had been more than 1000 years since it had been written and illustrated, and for the first time, since it had left this very small village of Tábara, it has returned for just a day.
The people of this village and region would admire for their first time the "Beatus" of Tábara.
This work of early medieval art, is filled with powerful images and few words.
A Beatus is a book-manuscript dating from the centuries IX - XII that share the interpretation of the Apocalipsis of the Evangelion of Saint John. This manuscript illustrates and speaks of the end of the world in the form of a "Code" (Codice) with images and few words.
There are 21 Beatus existing in the world, and out if these 21, three of them were created here in Tábara. The first and most important dates from year 925 and ilustrates life here in the monastic life of Tábara.

Tábara had a very active monastery with more than 600 monks and nuns and the reputation of the best Scriptorium. In this scriptorium worked the writer and the artist, copying and illustrating . Maius and his disciples interpreted the texts that a monk named Beatus from "Liebana" Cantabria, in the VIII century, interpreted from the Apocalipsis of Saint John. Later this books and manuscripts were called Beatus in a generic way, in memory to this dedicated monk, Beatus. The other two Beatus created here in Tábara, are one in Gerona, and the other is the Beatus de Morgan, that is in NY.

Walking the camino is for me always a little adventure. You don't know what you are going to see, learn, meet or feel. As a pilgrim, you are just walking, being open with all your senses to what is around you. There is no effort to being open, it just happens, as you walk.
Maybe through the motion of walking, that mostly happens in silence, you become part of the path, the stones, the air, wind, sun, birds. All your senses are alive living the moment.

When I woke up this morning, I didn't know anything about Beatus. Actually, I thought a Beatus, was a person that the church recognised highly. Never thought that it could be a book or manuscript with beautiful colourful illustrations.

At mid day I crossed a stone bridge, had walked 21 km and the path was taking me up a rocky hill. Just before disapearing, a young man on a sports bycicle, captured my attention.
He had stopped and I listen to what he had to say.
He asked me if I was going to Tábara, I responded "no, as it would make my walking day more than 38 km".
He spoke about the special day in Tábara and a little of the story of the Beatus (that I did not understand), telling me that it was an important day for the people of this region.
I listened to him. Meeting him at the exact moment that my path crossed the river and road, I decided that if a car just then came along, then I would go to Tábara.
 At that moment a small white car drove by, she was driving to Tábara, no hesitation....
I arrived in Tábara 20 minutes later.
After I settled in the albergue, I went to the beautiful romanic church,
and admired the Beatus of Tábara. Very beautiful. I felt the history, listened to the explanations, learned about Beatus.
Providence had taken me there. A village that did not exist in my path before, creating in me, moments that I would not forget.


This are the beautiful moments of the camino.

No comments:

Post a Comment