Friday, March 24, 2017

Entering Castilla y Leon

This morning I changed my plan and instead of walking the 33 km that I had planned for today, I found out that there was a small village of aproximately 100 habitants in13 km. and had albergue !! Considering the cold, rain and snowing off and on, I thought it was the perfect thing to do.

The 13 km walk to Calzada de Bejar at 845m was so beautiful !!! The green landscape accented by very large rocks, rolling hills following the roman pathway. Every so often roman stone pillars, taking me back to this ancient history that established the world in which we live in now.
Today I left the region of Extremadura and entered Castilla y Leon. The camino markings are unique to each region and today it was very well marked, often with panel information next to the roman remains on the way.

13 km walk was a great pleausure, I stopped many times, to contemplate the horses and cows. In a freshly cultivated field there were four storks, looking for nourishnent and 
worms. They are such big birds and impressive when they take off to fly.
I crossed a roman bridge and many wet muddy spots.
I am so thankful that I have my gortex solomon shoes, gaiters, smart wool socs and my purple merino wool undershirt. 
I am dressed in layers.
The albergue is a reformed barn. Built timber frame style, tile floors and a fantastic fireplace. Since I arrived I have not moved from the couch by the fireplace, except to go outside, to take a picture of a cute old lady that I could see sitting outside in the distance.
She tells me that she was born in this village and always has lived here. Tells me that she is outside taking in the fresh air. 



Calzada de Bejar has no store or services. Only the church, a bar, albergue and the farmers homes. I am happy that in Plasencia I bought chesse and jamon.
A german piligrim arrives, carrying a large bag filled with fresh vegetables, pasta, bread and a bottle of wine. Together we cooked a great meal and ate by the fireplace.


No comments:

Post a Comment