Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Salamanca!!

On my way to Salamanca....

At 7:30 I am ready to leave San Pedro. It is still dark, and after trying to find the bar-coffee shop, I realised that it is not yet open. I continue into Moriles, 6 km away, to have my coffee there, but in Moriles the bar-coffee shop is also not open yet. There is no other option that to continue walking to the next village 12 km away. 
To my surprise a nice woman, walking her dog, tells me that the bar in her village is also closed. Very unsual for Spain !!!
I walked with her for 2 more km's, until we reached her home, and she invites me for coffee. She made me coffee and covers the table with fruit, cookies, juice for me to have.
We have a nice shared time, she has lots of questions about the Camino, and soon I am on my way.
I see Salamanca in the far distance. The silhouettes of the cathedrals, bell towers, reminds me of when I entered Santiago a few years ago. 
It is lightly raining, I am excited to to be reaching this beautiful city, filled with history, and having covered 530 km of my Camino.
Salamanca is a beautiful city. To me, what makes it so special is that there is so many incredible historical buildings, all so close to each other.
Salamanca has two cathedrals. The old one is romanic, XIII century romanesque style. The new cathedral gothic. The main cupola so high and beautiful. Everywhere you look, is a history and theology lesson carved in stone and wood. Both cathedrals are connected, as they were built side by side.
Casa de  las Conchas, is famous for the cockle shells adorning the façades. Plaza Mayor, baroque XVIII century in perfect condition, where the city hall is located and under the archeway, the brass marking of the Camino in the ground.
Salamanca's university is the oldest university of Spain, dating XIII century. I walked through the lecture halls and see the lecture theater where Fra Luis de Leon, taught theology and moral philosophy, before being judged, prosecuted and imprisoned by the Spanish inquisition, for his views on biblical exegesis.
The student benches are wood, simple designed and covered with marks and writings from former students.
The old library dating XIII century filled with manuscripts and books placed in very old bookcases from the grown to the ceiling.
Salamanca is an alive city. Many of the current faculties are historical buildings. Students all around with futures awaiting for them. Very exciting.
The hotel that some of my peregrino family and I have booked is in a perfect place, next to plaza mayor. When I arrived, I filled the bathtub to the rim, and enjoyed a very relaxing hot bath.
We ate at a nice small restaurant, had a great evening walk throught the streets filled with history and so looking forward to a big bed, with a white duvet.
This morning I visited the cathedrals and at 12:30 I left Salamanca to Calzada de Valdunciel, 18 km away, from where I am now writing to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment