Monday, March 20, 2017

On the way to Caceres

The way to Valdesalor yesterday was beautiful. All along the way large rodedendrums shrubs, filled with buds...they will bloom in 3 weeks. Only a few were flowering. White large flowers. The ground is very green, and as before providing pasture for horses, sheep and cows.

This is spring, today, the greenest part of the year. In a few months it will be dry land, redish earth and very little vegetation. This part of Spain recieves very little rain and water is precious.
The last 5 km to the albergue were long, I was tired, no shade only a few trees in the distance. I could see the village for at least 10 km but it took a long time before I could take off my shoes and feeling the coolness of the tile floor, in the albergue.
Last night there was 11 peregrinos, very clean and comfortable albergue. Only five of us will continue to Casar. The rest are staying in Caceres.
This morning I left early, as in 13 km there is Caceres and I want to visit it.

Caceres was founded by the Romans in the first century BC. With the decline of the Roman Empire, the Visigoths, in the 5 century, invaded it and took over the city. Later the Muslims came and built a stone wall surrounding the city, but this did not prevent the Christians from coming and taking over. 
Walking the narrow streets of Caceres, takes me far away in time, where life must have been very difficult. The old city has many historical buildings and palaces from the middle ages. The cathedral has both Romenesque and Gothic features, built between the XIII and XVI centuries.

After walking the streets of Caceres, I got a bit lost while trying to find my way back into the Camino, to walk another 14 km to Casar.
I arrived at the albergue in the hottest part of the day.!

No comments:

Post a Comment